Sid Catlett, a former NCAA star and brief NBA player who always regarded a high school hoops game as his sporting peak, is dead. Catlett was 69 years old. Officials at DeMatha Catholic High School, his alma mater, put out word on Saturday morning that Catlett had died. No cause of death had yet been determined. A report in the Hyattsville, Md., school’s newsletter last month said Catlett was recovering from brain surgery after suffering an apparent stroke in June, hours after coaching in a youth summer camp in the Atlanta area. Catlett played for Notre Dame from 1968-1971, then spent one injury-riddled season with the Cincinnati Royals of the NBA. But before those stints, Catlett was a member of the storied DeMatha squad that beat Lew Alcindor’s powerhouse Power Memorial High in 1965. That game, played before a packed house at Cole Field House on the campus of the University of Maryland, has long been hailed as the greatest high school game ever played. Schoolboy hoops had never gotten such attention: All 12,500 tickets for the game sold out weeks in advance, and newspapers in the nation’s capital put previews of the contest on the front page. The front page of the Washington Daily News. Courtesy DeMatha Catholic High School. Catlett, a sophomore forward and the youngest player on the floor, scored a team-high 13 points, including seven of his squad’s final nine points, in DeMatha’s 46-43 win, which ended the New York school’s 71-game winning streak. He also helped guard Alcindor (who by the end of the decade would change his name to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and go on to be the top scorer in NBA history) holding him to just 16 points, and giving the acclaimed best prep player in the land the only loss of his high school career. The game also brought national renown to DeMatha coach Morgan Wootten, now a member of the Naismith Hall of Fame. In workouts leading up to the game, DeMatha coaches had Catlett hold a tennis racket over his head to simulate what they’d face on offense playing against somebody with the wingspan of the 7-foot-1 Alcindor. “I can remember [DeMatha guard] Mickey Wiles hitting a high jump hook over Lew Alcindor, so the tennis racket kind of paid off,” Wootten told thein a 2014 retrospective on the game. Catlett, in a 2011 interview, told me it was the game of his life. “Nothing I was involved in was bigger,” he said. For Catlett, its importance transcended hoops. That contest also was the beginning of a lifelong friendship between Catlett and Abdul-Jabbar. They would go on to face each other again in college, as Jabbar’s defending national champion UCLA squad whupped the Fighting Irish, 88-75, in December 1968, the first game at Notre Dame’s Athletic and Convocation Center, which is still the team’s home arena. Music enhanced the bond between Catlett and Abdul-Jabbar. Catlett, you see, was the son of Big Sid Catlett, a Chicago-based jazz man and one of the most influential and revered drummers of the 1930s and 1940s. Big Sid kept the beat for such legends as Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Benny Goodman, and Louis Armstrong, among others, and was known for occasionally peeving bandleaders by outshining them with his showmanship. In April 1945, the Washington Post went all hep cat in begging jazz fans not to miss a show promoted by future Atlantic Records founder and music industry dynamo Ahmet Ertegun that featured Big Sid—“winner of the recent Esquire poll as the greatest jazz drummer”—coming to town to play alongside young and hot New York pianist Errol Garner. (The gig was at Turner’s Arena, that downtown D.C. venue where Vince McMahon Sr. would soon launch the pro wrestling empire now known as WWE.) A snippet of that vintage preview in the Post: “Whip in a large number of the best swingmen now playing in Washington and the chances are this will be a jam session to go down in history—provided the history is recorded on asbestos paper!” Two decades later, that same paper would name Little Sid to its All-Met basketball squad for schoolboy stars. Big Sid Catlett (Photo courtesy of the Library of Congress) On that trip, Big Sid met Florence Jackson, a D.C. native who would subsequently become his wife. But Big Sid died of a heart attack in 1951, when his son was just two years old. Florence Catlett and the boy, who grew up being called Little Sid, moved to Washington after the patriarch’s death. Little Sid told me that he had “almost no recollection” of his father, and that he tried to fashion some relationship with his dead dad by playing drums as a little kid, obsessively attempting to re-create the lick from Big Sid that he heard on the records his mom played in the house. But by adolescence, Little Sid felt he had to choose between jazz and another pastime that the locals were quite enamored with: Basketball. Music lost out. “I’m 12 years old and I’m 6-foot-2,” he said, “and there was no way I’d survive in the community without playing basketball. I couldn’t serve two masters.” He grew to 6-foot-8, and after mastering hoops on the same D.C. playgrounds—Turkey Thicket and Edgewood—that produced such local legends as Elgin Baylor and Dave Bing, plus former Notre Dame basketball star Monk Malloy, he caught the eye of DeMatha’s Wootten. As his star rose on the court, his nickname graduated to Big Sid, just like his dad. He is one of at least 18 DeMatha players to reach the NBA, an alumni group that also includes the top pick from this year’s draft, Markelle Fultz of the Philadelphia 76ers. Courtesy of DeMatha Catholic High School Abdul-Jabbar, meanwhile, was also the son of a jazz musician, Ferdinand Lewis Alcindor Sr. His 2005 obituary in the New York Timessays Alcindor was trained at Juilliard and had played with Dizzy Gillespie, Art Blakey, and Tito Puente. Abdul-Jabbar would grow up to be possibly the greatest basketball player of all time, and among the greatest jazz collectors in the whole world. (He lost a reported 3,000 jazz LPs in a 1983 fire at his Los Angeles home.) And, as any vintage jazz buff would be, he was a huge fan of Big Sid Catlett. Catlett told me that he and Abdul-Jabbar kept in touch sporadically through the decades after their on-court matchups, mostly to talk jazz. He recounted a phone call from Abdul-Jabbar that came “out of the blue” 2003, after the old rivals and fellow music buffs had gone a few years without talking. Abdul-Jabbar imparted with excitement that he’d been watching a DVD imported from France called The Small Black Groups that was a compilation of vintage movie clips. Abdul-Jabbar said it had scenes featuring Big Sid that had been taken from 1940s feature films, some of him performing and others with him delivering spoken lines. “Kareem told me my dad talked,” Catlett said. “I had never heard my father speak.” This was before Youtube and years before transferring large video files digitally was an everyday thing. But Catlett found a Tower Records outside D.C. that had The Small Black Groups in stock, and immediately drove out and picked up a DVD. He told me he watched it alone in his living room in an otherwise empty house, and was overwhelmed. “So here I was, a guy in his fifties, hearing his dad talk for the first time,” Catlett said. “It was an incredibly private, emotional moment.” Catlett was convinced that he never would have gotten this gift were it not for the DeMatha-Power Memorial game, nearly four decades earlier. “Playing in that allowed me to hear my father speak,” he said. Relatedfootball bettingnfl betbet on college football gamesbet on nba gamesmlb play offs bettingbet on nhl playoffsonline ufc bettingsportsbooks for soccerfree copa america betting sites
Related Posts
Antonio Conte challenged his Inter players to learn from last week s defeat against Real Madrid as they prepare for Tuesday s must-win clash with Borussia Monchengladbach.
Inter have failed to win any of their opening four Champions League games for the first time ever and only a victory will do in Germany if they are to avoid early elimination.
The three-time European champions lost 2-0 at home to Madrid in their last Group B outing – Rodrygo s deflected strike off Achraf Hakimi adding to Eden Hazard s early penalty.
Conte acknowledged Inter made life difficult for themselves against Madrid in a match that saw Arturo Vidal dismissed for dissent, and the Inter boss is now after a response if his side are to keep their slim qualification hopes alive.
…
Neymar, Gabriel Martinelli and Bruno Guimaraes are among the notable absentees from the 23-man Brazil squad for the friendly in Morocco later this month.
Neymar tied the Selecao all-time scoring record of the late Pele (77) with his goal against Croatia as Brazil were eliminated in the World Cup quarter-finals in December.
An ankle injury sustained in Paris Saint-Germain s recent win against Lille will keep him from beating that record in Morocco though.
With head coach Tite stepping down after that defeat in Qatar, interim Brazil boss Ramon Menezes will take charge of the friendly and has selected nine new faces, including Chelsea s Andrey Santos – back on loan at Vasco da Gama – Wolves midfielder Joao Gomes and Athletico Paranaense striker Vitor Roque.
…
Luka Milivojevic had a stoppage-time penalty saved as Crystal Palace missed the chance to halt Manchester City s unbeaten start to the season, although the Premier League leaders winning run has been stopped at 18 matches following the goalless draw at Selhurst Park.
Pep Guardiola s men went into the match one win away from equalling the record for successive wins in Europe s top five leagues set by the Catalan s Bayern Munich side but they were ultimately frustrated by a well-drilled Palace side who were only denied all three points by Ederson s heroics at the end.
City showed two sides to their game in the first half, as they created a few good chances with some expansive football Bernardo Silva and Sergio Aguero going particularly close, with the latter introduced…
Xavi acknowledged a Barcelona return for Lionel Messi is impossible at present but refused to rule out a reunion in future, as he rejected comparisons between himself and two legendary Blaugrana coaches.
Messi s 21-year association with Barcelona came to an end last August when he joined Paris Saint-Germain on a free transfer amid the Catalan club s financial woes.
However, the seven-time Ballon d Or winner s six league goals during his debut campaign in Paris represented his worst such tally since he netted the same amount in LaLiga as an 18-year-old in 2005-06.
Messi has just one year remaining on his contract in the French capital – though an option exists for a further 12 months with PSG – and Barcelona president Joan Laporta said on Sunday he did not …
Atletico Madrid star Antoine Griezmann is at the same level as Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, according to David Villa.
France international Griezmann has enjoyed his best season to date in 2015-16, scoring 29 goals in all competitions to keep Atletico in the hunt for a league and Champions League double.
And Villa, who left Atletico to join New York City just prior to Griezmann s arrival from Real Sociedad in 2014, has no doubt that 25-year-old must now be considered among the very best players in the world.
Asked by Marca if he were at Messi and Ronaldo s level, Villa said: Yes. At the highest level you have to analyse things in a certain way, with all the different players, but Griezmann is one of the best players right now in world football. For the th…
Championship high-flyers Brentford have completed the signing of Rangers midfielder Lewis MacLeod for an undisclosed fee.
The 20-year-old midfielder has put pen-to-paper on a three-and-a-half year deal, which will take effect when the transfer window opens on Saturday, at Griffin Park.
MacLeod, who earlier this year earned his first call up to the Scotland national team but has yet to make his debut, has made 20 appearances in all competitions for Rangers this season, scoring eight goals.
He is a player who can play in all midfield positions, he has two excellent feet and an eye for goal, manager Mark Warburton told Brentford s official website.
He will be an excellent addition to the playing squad and I am sure he will play a key role in the secon…
At Wembley yesterday afternoon Manchester United started this season in the exact same fashion as they ended last season. They did it by winning silverware courtesy of a penalty shoot-out. OK, the Community Shield might not have quite the importance of the Champions League, but the win will have sent a few messages out to their title rivals.
The first few minutes at Wembley were largely forgettable but United looked the more dangerous side. They played some lovely short passing football but lacked the killer instinct in the final third. One of the reasons for that was that they didn’t seem to be playing anyone up front! With Nani, Giggs and Tevez all turning up in midfield and on the wings, there were often no strikers visible at all.
The game went into…
Dutch midfielder Evander Sno has moved from Celtic to Ajax, the club where he started his career, on a three-year-contract, the Dutch club said on its website Thursday.
The 21-year-old trained at the Amsterdam club before transfering to Feyenoord then moved to Scotland in 2006. He played 49 times and scored one goal in his two seasons in Scotland.
Sno was in the Dutch squad for the Euro 2008 football championships last June.
It was Ajax s fifth acquisition recently, after Dario Cvitanich (Banfield), Miralem Sulejmani (Heerenveen), Ismail Aissati (PSV Eindhoven) and Oleguer Presas (Barcelona).
…
Arsene Wenger is confident midfield duo Jack Wilshere and Aaron Ramsey can be tied down to new deals at Arsenal.
Much of the uncertainty regarding contracts at the Emirates Stadium over the past year has finally been resolved, with Alexis Sanchez sold to Manchester United and Mesut Ozil committing his long-term future to the Gunners.
The saga of those two high-earning stars, who were out of contract at the end of this season, followed the club s contentious decision to award Wenger a two-year extension at the end of the 2016-17 campaign.
Wilshere is into the final six months of his Arsenal deal but has enjoyed an impressive resurgence of late, having spent last term on loan at Bournemouth following an injury-ravaged spell.
The Daily Telegraph reports t…
Competition: FA Cup
Market: Manchester United to beat Huddersfield
Odds:
The FA Cup continues this weekend as even more incredibly exciting and unpredictable action will surely accompany the most shocking competition in football. With this in mind, Huddersfield host Manchester United on Saturday.
Huddersfield have been very poor this season and they will be desperate to clinch a win that would boost their morale massively. In the league they have struggled after 27 games, they have won seven, drawn six and lost 14 games, while they have scored 23 times and conceded 47 goals. In their last five they have won just once, losing their other four games which has seen them onto 27 points. The newly-promoted side are just a single point clear of the r…